Thank you for your interest in becoming a Virginia Master Naturalist volunteer in the Roanoke Valley Chapter.
TRAINING is the first step towards certification as a Master Naturalist.
Is this program for you? Ask yourself…
- Are you curious about Nature?
- Do you enjoy the outdoors?
- Do you want to make a positive difference in the environment?
- Do you care about the natural areas and native species in your community?
- Do you want to be actively involved managing, conserving and educating about Virginia’s natural resources?
- Do you have both the time and the resolve to complete the training?
- Do you have the time to complete the volunteer service?
- Are you interested in being part of a local team and interacting with others who care about natural resources?
If so…. then, YES this program might be for you! But also ask yourself…
- Are you only interested in getting the training and less interested in volunteering?
- Are you wanted certification for your job or to promote yourself in some way?
- Are you hoping to use certification for environmental advocacy?
- Are you more interested in promoting personal opinion about the environment over research-based knowledge?
- Are you thinking the Master Naturalist service will count towards Master Gardener service requirements?
If so…then, NO this program may not be for you.(Quiz courtesy of Rivanna Chapter) We are a working partnership, not a nature club.
Registration for the 2023 class is now closed. Check back in October for more information on the next class
To become a certified Virginia Master Naturalist, a candidate must complete three steps:
- 40 hours of basic training
- 8 hours of advanced training
- 40 hours of volunteer service
To maintain certification, a Virginia Master Naturalist must complete 8 hours of advanced training and 40 hours of volunteer service annually.
Learn more about the Roanoke Valley Master Naturalists: Roanoke Valley Master Naturalist Brochure
Equal Opportunity Employer
Virginia Master Naturalist programs and employment are open to all, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital or family status. An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.